It is currently estimated that nearly half of the American population will experience the appearance of abnormal leg veins at one point in their lives — majority of which are 50 years old and above.
Here at our Chicago laser cosmetic practice, men and women seek our services because they want to improve the appearance of cosmetically unappealing leg veins. However, it should be noted that enlarged leg veins should be taken seriously not only because of their aesthetically unpleasant quality but also because of the possibility of them leading to serious health issues such as bleeding, skin ulcers/sores, thrombophlebitis, and deep vein thrombosis.
Genetics may play a role in the development of varicose veins. However, there are other factors influencing its occurrence that you can control. We list down the steps to preventing their appearance below!
- Lose the extra kilos if you’re overweight. Being overweight or obese will place unnecessary pressure to your leg veins.
- Move a lot. You do not have to do complex exercise routines. A brisk walk, a short run, cycling, or a few laps in the pool will surely do the trick. Any activity that will help improve leg circulation will do.
- Avoid prolonged periods of standing and sitting. If you have to, take frequent breaks.
- Elevate your legs as much as possible when sitting or sleeping. In addition, avoid crossing your legs for prolonged periods.
- Avoid wearing high heels for long periods of time, too. Alternate them with low heeled shoes as they can improve leg circulation and help tone the calf muscles.
- Avoid long-term use of birth control pills and similar medications/treatments. Hormone-based drugs, particularly estrogen, can most likely have a negative impact on the leg vein valves which in turn increases the appearance of enlarged, bulging or twisted-like veins.
- Wear compression stockings that can put pressure to the veins which can reduce swelling. If you’re seeing early signs of varicose or spider veins, you might want to go for prescription compression stockings.
Laser Vein Treatment in Chicago and neighboring areas
One of the most effective treatments for leg veins are laser skin treatments. Laser treatments are beam pulses of energy under the skin’s surface. The energy is focused and works on a wavelength that is calibrated to destroy the offending veins without harming the skin’s surface. Typically, multiple sessions are recommended to achieve the most desirable results for the removal of leg veins.
We’d love to hear from you! Call us at 847.291.6900 or fill out this contact form to schedule an appointment today.